Monday, March 26, 2007

When it rains, it pours

How to sum up two months of training and adventures? I ran while it rained, swam when it snowed (thank goodness for heated indoor pools), hid from the hail, and marveled when the temperature hit 92 degrees (92!). I have logged more miles and yards and watched with great satisfaction as friends and family responded with tremendous generosity to my fundraising request. Our combined efforts are making a world of difference to people battling cancer right now. Every time I'm tired, busy, or unmotivated, I think of Shawn, one of our team honorees, who met us before a training ride one week after he left the hospital following a transplant. His gratitude and encouragement reminded me of the true significance of this season. For me, finishing the triathlon in May is the focus. For Shawn, the goals more likely include a future in which his disease retreats and life regains a semblance of normalcy. It puts it all in perspective.

On a personal note, yesterday I completed my first-ever duathlon. Fresno's Spring Fling Duathlon brought together a group of hardy souls (or so I flatter myself) to run 4 miles, bike 16 miles, and run 2 miles more. Perhaps it was hopping out of bed at 4 a.m., perhaps it was having all my boys cheering me on - I felt great! For the first time in my life, I ran 4 miles without stopping. It wasn't but a few months ago that I ran my first mile since high school, so this was huge. I felt good on the bike, too. That is, until my rear tire went flat. I had many choice words for the brake cable that was so tight I didn't know if I could release it, my fumbling fingers, the absurdly long time it took me to complete the task. Words of encouragement from fellow competitors and teammates helped. Tire back on, I finished the last two laps and returned to transition just as everyone else was packing up (or so it seemed). Two more miles at a slow jog, and Carson ran me across the finish line. I had FUN and learned a lot. I learned I am capable of more on event day than during any training. I learned that enthusiastic support feels great. I learned that I'm ok with being last, as long as I give my best and finish. I learned to always carry two spare tubes.

I'm looking forward to the next 6 weeks!

No comments: